Sonntag, 13. Dezember 2015

Memories to At-Ta'ir - Episode 3: Complementary Ways



While both of the men returned from the goat stable, Elvedin said: “Elvedin, you told me about your aware perception of the everyday life and of your training in meditation. Involved your training other subjects, too – besides the training in combat?”
“Oh yes, we were trained in a lot of subjects. Besides the subjects you already mentioned there was for example the artisanal subject. Every one of us had to master one craft and to learn basic skills in the other crafts – we should be able to be as independent as possible.”
“And which one is your craft?”
“I chose carpentry – or it chose me, see it as you will.”
“You’re a carpenter?”
“Yes. I love the wooden smell, the feeling when the surface of the wood burnishes under my plane and my hands, or when I gradually carve out of the wood what lies hidden under its surface. Furthermore I love how different the various types of wood are. I prefer the wood of the oak for things that should be of long duration and great stability, and wood of the apple tree for carvings.”
“True that, trees can be really different. I noted that I feel at ease very much when I am surrounded by oaks.”
“Yes, I do feel the same. Because of that my stick is carved from solid oak, so I can always have a part of my favourite tree at my side.”
“That’s great! And what other parts did your training include?”
“For one there was the mastering of an art. I chose music and carved my flute on my own as every of my colleagues fashioned his instrument himself. For me it’s fascinating how music can touch souls – the one of the player as well as the ones of the listeners – and how it can express more and go deeper than words ever can.”
“That’s true. It happens from time to time that we barely can calm our baby with words, but when Anwar sings a song for him only in a moment everything is better.”
“Yes, I love the effect music has onto a lot of people. Well, as a further subject there was our intellectual training.”
“Did it take place in the library? And is it really as huge as people say?”
“Oh yes, I never saw a bigger one. Thank God the librarian Rasim and his wife Kamila most commonly were there, I lost my way now and then in the library and had hardly found out without them. And, yes, a good part of our intellectual training took part with the two of them in the library.”
“Even with Kamila? I thought that has been a school for boys?”
“You’re right, but that means not that we hadn’t had female teachers. Some of our masters were female, and a good thing, too. We shouldn’t be adverted a lot by the female sex – especially by girls of our age – but neither grow up in an ivory tower with not knowing how to treat a woman. And some of our female masters were really brilliant, especially Master Kamila – she was even out of the doors of At-Ta’ir a reputable scholar.”
“What was her special field? And what impressed you most at her?”
“I am not sure if Master Kamila ever had a special field, she was interested in so many things! I was for sure impressed by her versatility, but even by her ability to draw her attention wholeheartedly to one certain target. If she was interested in one subject she was not satisfied as long as she found an answer to her question. She taught me a lot about our ancestors, about their way to think, to invent things, to build structures and to pass their wisdom through stories, art and scriptures. But she took us to field trips to the environs, too, and larned us a lot about healing plants and their usage.” Said laughed. “I’m sure there is no plant she knew nothing about. And in clear nights she entered the flat roof of the library to observe the stars with her telescope. Master Rasim in fact built there a hut with a folding roof for her – up there it could become really draughty by night.”
“How on earth did he deal with a woman that was so hungry for knowledge?”
“Well, I think the both of them found a good way to live their relationship. Both were connected by the love of books, by the urge of understanding reality, because in fact the both of them were hungry for knowledge. But while Master Kamila wanted to go deeper and deeper into the matter and wanted to know more and more, for Master Rasim the expression was the most important thing; he was an outstanding illuminator and poet. There were quite times when they barely saw each other for weeks when they where so absorbed by their passions, but with all their diversity they were connected by their similarities, their love and their respect for each other and backed each other a lot. Even their way of teaching was very different. Master Kamila was the more extrovert of the two, she was more spontaneous and flourished her hands a lot while telling and you noted that she was completely in her element. In opposite to Master Kamila, who loved to teach bigger groups, too, Master Rasim mostly concentrated onto a very few students. He was calmer than her and extremely rarely he departed from a plan he once made.”
„And which of the two was the better one?“
“I could not say which one of them was better, they simply were very different. I’d rather say that they complemented each other and together built a unity. Without one of them there had lacked something.”
In that very moment Anwar came round the corner.
“I don’t want to disturb the high lords with their important talks, but don’t you want to come in? Otherwise the milk will later freeze at your fingers and I’ll have to make the cheese on my own.”
The two men broke out into gales of laughter; in fact the weather has become brisk.
“You see, Said”, Elvedin said while laughing and putting his arm around Anwar, “even my other half complements me and takes care that our unity don’t break up.”
Said smirked and followed the two love birdies into the house.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen